The latest Call of Duty: WWII update was released yesterday for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. This new update brings many new bug fixes and gameplay improvements, and even includes weapon balance changes to many types of guns including LMGs and sidearms.
Of all the changes, the weapon changes are what will be felt the most by the gaming community. The changes strengthen some weapons while weakening others, and this could change how the game is played by some, especially in multiplayer.
The MP-40 and Thompson submachine gun have both gotten buffs to their fire rate, bringing them closer to the SMG, which is the current favorite among players. The Combat Shotgun now has better damage range, as well, and the entire LMG weapon class has gotten a movement speed boost, while the MG-15 and Lewis LMG have gotten a reduced recoil.
On the other side of the coin, the FG-42 has gotten a big decrease in its fire rate. This change will likely reduce the gun’s dominance in the rifle class. Also receiving a nerf is the Machine Pistol, which now will do less damage.
Here is a complete list of the changes from the official patch notes:
- Fixed issue where Social Rank rewards were not granting
- Fixed issue where Confirmed Killer Order could be completed by collecting both friendly and enemy dog tags
- Fixed issue where Confirmed Denier Order was not tracking properly
- Other general UI fixes and improvements
- Buffed fire rate for MP-40 and M1928
- Buffed Combat Shotgun damage range
- Class-wide LMG movement speed buff and recoil buffs for MG15 and Lewis
- Nerfed fire rate for FG42 and adjusted recoil accordingly
- Nerfed Machine Pistol damage
- Fixed Ranked Play UI bug where rank icons changed to the placement match icon in the scoreboard that appears before the AAR
- Fixed UI issues with Zombies 2XP
- Fixed issue with Audio Log Recording Collectible
- Fixed issue where players were able to deploy more than maximum number of S-Mine 44 explosives, and lost those deployed over the maximum
- Fixed issue UI issue where kills with grenades were counting for the Blitz Used stat
Call of Duty: WWII hasn’t been criticism free, with many players feeling as the game is too easy and just doesn’t do enough to pull you into an era when the world was at war. Still, these patches and improvements should help, at least with some of those problems. DLC packs should also change the game as we know it today as well. Have a look at the first DLC preview below:
Call of Duty: WWII is the first game in the Call of Duty series to take us back to World War 2 much like the classic Medal of Honor: Allied Assault series so many years ago. The game itself is fun and engaging, despite some of the criticisms it has received. With more releases likely to follow the first DLC, and continued bug fixes, many are hoping this turns into the WWII era game we were all wanting. What do you think about Call of Duty: WWII? Do you like the game or were you hoping for something different?
About the author
Matt is an IT professional with over fifteen years experience supporting network infrastructure and computers. An avid gamer, Matt enjoys his time playing and writing about his experiences both in the IT world and in the gaming communities. You can find more of his writing for LaptopNinja where he enjoys talking about everything tech.